Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Date Night by Samantha Hayes

Returning early from a disastrous date night with my husband, I know something is wrong the moment the wheels crunch the gravel drive of our home. Inside, the TV is on and a half-eaten meal waits on the table. My heart stops when I find our little girl is alone in the house and our babysitter, Sasha, is missing…

Days later, when I’m arrested for Sasha’s murder and torn away from my perfect little family, I’ll wish I had told someone about the threatening note I received that morning.

I’ll hate myself for not finding out who the gift hidden inside my husband’s wardrobe was for.

I’ll scream from the rooftops that I’m innocent – but no one will listen.

I will realise I was completely wrong about everything that happened that night…

But will you believe me?



One morning, out of the blue, Libby finds a note on her car that says her husband is having an affair. She debates with herself and a friend over whether or not to confront him. Eventually she decides to ask him about it. His answers or should I say non-answers certainly did not satisfy me or seem to placate Libby. For some reason this leads to their "date night" which oddly for this couple is not a usual occurrence, and is somehow meant to patch things up between them. During their evening out someone is blowing up his phone with texts and calls that he never accepts. Now for me, this is odd behavior and although there should be trust in a marriage there is also such a thing as not burying your head in the sand. Libby does ask who keeps calling but he doesn't tell her and she never actually looks at the phone until after he heads off to the men's room to delete the call history. It's hard for me to imagine any wife letting that happen.
I hate to be the only one who didn't fall madly in love with this book but for me it seemed to be a long and winding road that dragged on a bit longer than necessary. You may enjoy it more than I did if you like lengthy drawn out  reveals.
3 out of 5 stars
I received an advance copy for review.

get a copy

No comments:

Post a Comment