Sunday, February 6, 2022

Alfred Hitchcock's Witch's Brew--Eleven Stories About Magic, Witchcraft, and the Supernatural

 

Witches, sorceresses and a modern vampire feature in Alfred Hitchcock's cauldron of horrors. This hearth-thumping collection of stories, put together by the man who -till his death in 1980- was regarded as the master of terror, is guaranteed to give you the jitters!





This book says it is geared towards "young readers" but I would caution that does not mean children. The stories are definitely not childish, nor are they for those who have only just learned to read. There is no gore, but there is language unsuitable for young children. I would consider it more a young adult anthology or at the very least age 13 and up. Consider it a PG 13 rating.


I am posting a photo of the page which lists the included stories, authors, and original publication year. This anthology was originally published by Random House in 1977.
Even though it has long since gone out of print it is not difficult to find used copies in decent condition still floating around for sale at the second hand bookstores. I found my copy in very good condition at Thriftbooks.

I probably fell in love more with the artwork than the actual stories. The front and back cover art just screamed buy me. The inside cover is gorgeous too and there is also an illustration for every story.


My favorites were the stories by Robert Bloch and Shirley Jackson. They've got me in the mood to dig out my collections by both of them and just binge. I've never read much Robert Bloch before but it's worth noting that all of my favorite episodes of Alfred Hitchcock Presents were based on stories written by Bloch. Until now the only story I had read by Shirley Jackson was The Lottery and now I'm kicking myself for having waited so long to dig into more of her work. Her story in this anthology "Strangers in Town" is told from the point of view of the town busy body who claims she can not stand gossip all while spewing more of it than anyone. As she spies on her new neighbors they might actually give her something to talk about! This was a 5 star read for me.
'That Hell-bound Train" by Robert Bloch is about a young man who thinks he can outsmart the devil. Also a 5 star read for me.
The rest of the stories, while worth a read, were just not on the same level, but for me, Jackson and Bloch were worth the cost of admission.



No comments:

Post a Comment