Monday, May 23, 2022

Alfred Hitchcock's Ghostly Gallery

 

Eleven spooky stories for young people. "Good evening, and welcome to Alfred Hitchock's Ghostly Gallery..." So begins the introduction to this marvelous book for young readers presented by none other than the master of the macabre himself, Alfred Hitchcock. Following his invitation to "browse through my gallery", readers will find ghoulish ghost stories "designed to frighten and instruct" -- instruct, that is, about the strange existence ghosts must endure! Stories include "Miss Emmeline Takes Off" by Walter Brooks; "The Valley of the Beasts" by Algernon Blackwood; "The Haunted Trailer," "The Wonderful Day," and "Obstinate Uncle Otis," by Robert Arthur; "The Upper Berth" by F. Marion Crawford; "The Truth About Pyecraft" by H.G. Wells; "Housing Problem" by Henry Kuttner: "In a Dim Room" by Lord Dunsany: "The Waxwork," by A.M. Burrage: and "The Isle of Voices" by Robert Louis Stevenson. Parents and kids can't help but chuckle at Hitchcock's comment, "I don't want to appear disloyal to television, but I think reading will be good for you." Contains some very spooky two-color illustrations by Fred Banbery




Even though I know not to judge a book by its cover, that is exactly what attracted me to this anthology. I should not have judged it by the title either since I expected ghost stories and the majority of these tales are absent of spirits.

There were a few stories that I enjoyed, even though there were no scares to be found. Most of the stories were just not to my liking. Even "The Waxwork" which was made into one of my favorite episodes of Alfred Hitchcock Presents was kind of dull and flat here. Whoever they hired to turn it into a tv script is the one who added all the flavor and flair that is missing in this book.

The few stories that I liked were more whimsical than scary

I did enjoy The Wonderful Day in which a young boy drifts off to sleep after listening to his family gossip about the residents of their town. He thinks to himself that adults are confusing since they often say things they don't mean. He makes a wish as he falls asleep and soon the figurative becomes literal which is wonderful for some people but less so for others.

I also enjoyed Miss Emmeline Takes off, about a woman who sneaks into the home she lost after a financial difficulty to retrieve an important item that the new owner refused to let her take.

The Truth About Pyecraft was a fun story about a prescription for weight loss that works far too well.

The illustrations by Fred Banbery are amazing

I'm not sure that 3 stories out of 11 make a convincing argument in favor of this book but you may enjoy the rest more than I did. If you are interested there are plenty of used copies in decent condition floating around out there.

Get a copy


No comments:

Post a Comment