Thursday, March 2, 2023

Abnormal Statistics by Max Booth III

 

Suburban decay, familial horror, bleak lullabies. Abnormal Statistics is the debut story collection from Max Booth III.
Bad times are waiting for you.

Featuring 10 reprints and 3 stories original to this collection (including a brand-new novella called "Indiana Death Song")





Based on the author's own experiences and also fictionalized news stories this book can turn your stomach and break your heart. 
Most revolve around family in some form of suffering or other, be it from addiction, abuse, neglect, or loss. The supernatural aspects are secondary to the evil perpetrated by humans. I was floored by Scraps, a story that I thought was going to be about spooky creepy children but turned into a gut-wrenching tale of devastating horror.

Every Breath Is A Choice was another story that shocked me as it veered off into the unexpected and ugly, leaving me shaken and perhaps traumatized. 
All of the stories are well written but though I don't consider myself to be a person who needs trigger warnings I struggled towards the end with a story called Video Nasties because I knew almost immediately that it was based on a real-life horrifying case of child torture and murder that I remember from the news. If you like your fiction very dark this may be for you. This collection is full of deeply disturbing stories that I don't think everyone could handle so don't say I didn't warn you.

4 out of 5 stars

I received an advance copy for review.






No comments:

Post a Comment