Monday, September 11, 2023

Fiends by Richard Laymon


 This book was first published in the 90s but I missed out on it at the time.

I have read a lot of Richard Laymon. I actually thought I had read all of his books, but that is because I never knew he wrote short stories and this novella.

Of these thirteen tales, the title story is the longest and also my least favorite in the bunch. It's mainly about a rapist who is back for revenge against those who sent him to prison, but he is not the only "fiend" in the story. Some of the actions of his main victim were just too ridiculous. I suppose her unbelievable choices were needed in order to make this novella length since she had ample opportunity early on to make sure this man never bothered her again. 

The rest of this collection was thoroughly witty, clever, creepy, disturbing, and hilariously disgusting.
From bratty kids who face gruesome consequences to vampires, serial killers and freeze-dried corpses, this book is a must for all Laymon fans.


4 out of 5 stars










No comments:

Post a Comment