Thursday, March 14, 2024

Alfred Hitchcock's Tales of the Supernatural and the Fantastic


 Drawn from the pages of Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine, this collection of more than thirty stories features the talents of Lawrence Block, Rob Kanter, Patricia Moyes, Chet Williamson, Taylor McCafferty, and George Chesbro.




I've been collecting these old anthologies for a while now. They are out of print but you can usually find used copies in decent condition still floating around. I have too many to count but have only read a few. I think this is my third.

This is a huge volume of stories at over 400 pages.


There are some classics included by Poe and H.G. Wells but I more enjoyed the stories that were new to me. One of the few stories that had enough bite to creep me out was The Balancing Man by Charles Ardai in which a young boy follows his big brother to a mysterious red barn where he sees something unforgettable.

I also loved Roughing It by Michael Beres, probably because I have had some unusual experiences in the great outdoors myself. I found this story quite sinister from the start when a large and luxurious motor home takes over the space next to a tent where a married couple are trying to enjoy some peace and quiet while camping out. 

Some stories are more humorous, including one where a ghost still shows up for work every day. They are all pretty tame compared to today's standards, but most were entertaining. A few fell flat and a couple I just skimmed because they didn't interest me. If you are looking for subtle chills and mild thrills this may be for you.

Get a copy

No comments:

Post a Comment