Monday, October 21, 2024

The Year's Best Dark Fantasy & Horror: Volume 5 Edited by Paula Guran


 From the back cover :

This outstanding annual exploration of the year's best dark fiction journeys into the shadows to deliver nineteen tales of the haunted, weirdly surreal, evil incarnate, frightening futures, and much more.





I loved volume 4 of this anthology so I was beyond thrilled when volume 5 showed up at my door unexpectedly. 

Horror is my happy place and I have loved anthologies for as long as I can remember. I'm like a kid in a candy store any time I open one. There's just so much to choose from. There are so many delightfully dark tales here. 

If I had to pick a favorite it would be Return To Bear Creek Lodge by Tananarive Due where a family gathers as their mother is dying. It takes place in the 1970s and reminds me of how terribly afraid I was of my own grandmother. Is that an awful thing to admit? Oh well, it's done now and it takes a damned good horror story to dredge up my own past trauma.

I also loved The Dark House by A.C. Wise, partly because it takes place in my own state of Rhode Island. There's a mystery surrounding the life and death of a photographer whose many photos featured a particular house that is now abandoned but not necessarily empty. When curiosity leads people to its unlocked door some things are best left undiscovered.

A reminder of the cruelty of children, and the cruelty of being a child can be found in The Demon Lord Of Broken Concrete by Alex Irvine.

Not all of the stories in this anthology are scary but they are all wonderfully weird and creepy in their own way. 

My thanks to Pyr Books.

Get a copy







No comments:

Post a Comment