Saturday, August 19, 2023

Bad Movie Night by Patrick Lacey

 

Welcome to So Bad, So Good, YouTube’s most successful channel dedicated to trash cinema. This week, we’ll be watching and discussing the elusive horror flick Creepies. Some say the film is cursed, that its cast members died in unusual ways. Others claim the writers, producers, and directors have gone into hiding because of the movie’s macabre reputation. Countless viewers have experienced flashbacks to scenes within the film, as if they themselves were characters. But surely those are just rumors, right? Let’s fire up the VCR and find out. Grab some popcorn, crack open a cold one, and ignore the scratching in the walls.






Who doesn't love a bad movie night? Count me in.

A small group of friends have turned their love of horror movies into a semi-famous YouTube channel. When a bootleg copy of an obscure film mysteriously appears in the studio it's like a dream come true. They can't wait to watch, and film an episode about it. So what if it's rumored to be cursed? It's only a movie right?

I'll be honest with you, I had a moment of doubt when I opened this book and found it written in second person. I can count on one hand the number of books I've enjoyed from that point of view. However, Patrick Lacey has really pulled it off and it works well here. From this perspective, you are the star of the book and you will take the risk of bringing the curse upon yourself.

The movie scenes played out in vivid detail, to the point that I feel like I actually saw it. I wanted to tell them not to watch but they could not look away and neither could I, even when the curse began to take hold. The main character's depression over a traumatic incident in the past seems to make him (You) more susceptible to the curse but that doesn't mean it's safe for anyone else to watch this movie.
I read this book in one sitting and I never do that. If I never post again you'll know the curse took me.

My thanks to Patrick Lacey.
 




No comments:

Post a Comment