Sunday, December 17, 2023

THE BEDMAKERS by Chad Lutzke and John Boden

 

After two elderly men tire of their homelessness in downtown Chicago 1979, they hop a train in search of work out west. But before their last stop, a traumatic event in an empty train car steers their once-hopeful journey into a path of chaos filled with deceit, murder, graverobbing, and dormant secrets.





Once in a while, I take a break from horror to read something different. It takes a gifted storyteller to pull my attention out of my horror novels so it doesn't happen often. When I saw this collaboration from Chad Lutzke and John Boden there was just no way I was going to be able to concentrate on any other book before reading The Bedmakers.

So who are The Bedmakers? I'm glad you asked.
Calvin and Eugene are former servicemen and homeless best friends facing hard times in 1979 Chicago. They decide to head out west for the warmer climate and possible work.
 Even though they share everything, one is keeping a secret from the other, or at least he's trying to... On the way they run across some shocking trouble but that's nothing compared to what they find when they settle in at their destination. A quaint little town they think of as Mayberry has some secrets of its own and a few dangerous residents.

Eugene and Calvin have such a genuine friendship that I couldn't help but fall in love with both of them. They are the kind of gentlemen I'd be happy to sit down and share a conversation with or invite to my table for a meal, and if anyone said a word against them or their too worn out clothes I'd smack them. Although for elderly gentlemen they do quite well at defending themselves and each other when needed.
I still feel a little emotionally hungover from this story. If you are looking for a book with all the feels this is it.

5 out of 5 stars

I received an advance copy for review.
Expected publication date February 13 2024

No comments:

Post a Comment