Thursday, November 11, 2021

Dead Inside by Chandler Morrison

 

In this bleak and disturbingly erotic debut novel, iconoclast Chandler Morrison provides readers with a dark exploration of the nature of death, individuality, and generational identity. Along the way, lines will be crossed, taboos will be violated, and common decency will take an extended leave of absence. This is not for the faint of heart or weak of stomach. Or anyone who enjoyed Fifty Shades of Grey.

A young hospital security guard with a disturbingly unique taste in women. A maternity doctor with a horrifically unusual appetite. When the two of them meet, they embark on a journey of self-discovery as they shatter societal norms while engaging in destructive and abhorrent behavior. As they unwittingly help each other understand a world in which neither of them seems to belong, they begin to realize what it truly means to be alive...and that it might not always be a good thing.


So a necrophiliac and a cannibal walk into a bar...well actually it was a restaurant but whatever.

I bought this book because just about everyone was talking about it last year. Now that I've read it I'm not sure what to do with it. It's not a book that I will display proudly on my shelves. It's not a book I would feel comfortable donating, it's not even a book that I would want anyone to find in my belongings after I'm gone. I'm barely willing to admit that I've read it. The writing is mediocre and the plot if you could call it that is gross just for the sake of shock value. I like my horror to be scary, and this is not it. I guess I would recommend it to readers who like gross out horror. I would not recommend it for anyone who expects it to be as claimed in the synopsis "disturbingly erotic" or a "dark exploration of the nature of death"

I figured I could handle it since I've read a lot of Edward Lee, the author who holds the distinction of writing the only book that ever literally made me gag,  I was right, I made it to the end without throwing up, but I prefer to get more out of a book than just not vomiting.

2 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment