Thursday, November 4, 2021

Things That Don't Belong in the Light by Matt Starr

What is your deepest fear? Things that exist in plain sight?
Those that hide in the darkest corners of your soul? 
Our deepest fears come in many forms. The seen and the hidden.
The real and the imagined. The flesh and the incorporeal.
Between the covers of this book, you'll find a bit of all this.
Monsters, real and imagined. The familiar and the alien.
So open the book. Be prepared to confront your worst fears.

Things That Don't Belong in the Light




Last year I read Prepare To Meet Thy God by Matt Starr and it ended up on my best horror of 2020 list. When I saw this short story collection I knew I had to read it.
These stories are dark and multifaceted. They don't always lead where you think they're going to take you. I'm just going to touch briefly on my absolute favorites.
 Debris is the tale of a man haunted not by a spirit but by an event. As he rushes off to be with his dying mother it made me wonder if we create our own fate or are we just steered along by circumstance. This is one that really creeped me out.
The Suffering of Jolie Bell is about a travel blogger looking for the next haunted place to write about. Generally she makes things up as she goes along, but this time she may have found the real thing.
The Light on the Other Side of the Crawl Space features two things that for some reason paired well together, a dysfunctional family and an awful lot of spiders. This was one of the more gruesome stories which is probably why I loved it. 
In Devil Like You a pharmacist is asked to provide the drugs that will end the life of a death row inmate but consequences follow.
Last but not least is I Was Not Offended which is an original twist on the old myth of selling souls for musical ability. Whether you are familiar enough with the legends to start humming about being down at the crossroads or whether you have no idea what I'm rambling on about this is one story that won't give you the blues. 

4 out of 5 stars
I received an advance copy from the publisher under no obligation to write a review.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment